To provide advocacy and recovery-related services to individuals and family members impacted by the disease of addiction.
About Message Carriers of Pennsylvania, Inc
Message Carriers of Pennsylvania, a Recovery Community Organization (RCO) was created by a group of recovering individuals and family members to combat the stigma and discrimination practices towards people with substance use disorders. Established in 1996, we became a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization in 2008. Message Carriers developed the operating principles of Recovery, Education and Advocacy in Community Healing (REACH) which support and inform all activities of the organization. Utilizing the principles of REACH, we educate and advocate to ensure that those needing recovery are encouraged, enabled, and supported in achieving and sustaining long-term recovery.
As an agency whose outreach is largely carried out by people in recovery, Message Carriers is a perfect example of best practices for peer-delivered recovery support. Our Recovery Supportive Services includes:
- Monthly Community meetings - Every 2nd Tuesday everyone is welcome;
- Recovery Training Institute
- We train on recovery related subjects to educate all who want to learn.
- After Hours Telephone Recovery Support Helpline-(412) 463-7006 - 5pm-midnight
Let us help you navigate systems for services on where to turn for resources, referrals and how to assist yourself or loved ones with recovery support. Our Certified Recovery Specialist (CRS), who answer this phone line will even be a listening ear if you need to talk. This telephonic service was designed as a source of information and support for individuals, families and others in Allegheny County struggling with substance abuse disorders. The CRS that monitors this helpline can refer callers to treatment facilities, other citywide services and support to meet their needs. This services includes:
- Referral for immediate care to appropriate providers (e.g. crisis intervention, hospitals, detox facilities, etc.)
- Advocacy for those experiencing difficulties in access addiction/recovery services
- Information and meeting list on local recovery programs (AA, NA, faith based groups, secular groups and other 12step groups)
- Recovery Community community activities and events (e.g. recovery dances, speaker james, recovery bike rides, recovery walk, etc.)
- Message Carriers works with state, local and community based organizations to help Allegheny County residents find the support they need.
As an agency whose outreach is largely carried out by people in recovery, Message Carriers is a perfect example of best practices for peer-delivered recovery support. In addition, we are a one of four RCO's across Pennsylvania who was a forerunner in workforce development for people with lived experiences with the creation of the Certified Recovery Specialist (CRS) certification. Message Carriers has been acknowledged and recognized for our voice and display of a positive face for recovery in the community as a whole.
Phone: (412) 491-6010